Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Ian's Biscuits



I had started today intending on making a tutorial on chocolate lattice scrolls, but I awoke to discover upon checking my E-mail that a friend had passed away. His motorbike lost control on the highway yesterday, he found himself under a truck, and he did not make it through surgery as everyone had hoped.

I wanted to do something for his greiving family, so I thought to make a biscuit that would not only last a few days, but will be delicious and preferably chocolate dipped.

My friend, Rose H, shared her incredibly simple recipe for her Oat Dreams with me, something with few ingredients, baked up quickly and would taste great chocolate dipped.

Here she gives the recipe as follows:

4 oz/100gsoft butter
2 oz/50g caster sugar
4 oz/100g SR flour
2 oz/50g porridge oats
Serving Size : approx 20

1.Place all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix together well.
2.Take approx. 1 tsp of mixture and roll into a ball, flatten slightly and place on a greased baking sheet.
3.Repeat until all the mixture is used, leaving room for the mixture to spread.
4.Bake at Gas 4, 350 deg F. or 180 deg C for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
5.Place on a wire rack to cool and crisp.


Now my first attempt turned out into a blob. When Rose says 'leaving room for mixture to spread', she means leave a LOT of room for the mixture to spread. I'd have to say I left 4cm between each bikkie and only two came out not attached to the rest. Not that it matters, foul-ups are for eating! I'm tempted to try chilling the mixture before baking to make a slightly colder butter in hopes it won't spread as much, but I feared it would be too flaky. The dough is already a bit crumbly.

My second attempt I decided to put the little biscuits into lined muffin tins. This turned out brilliantly! Except.. I overfilled them and the centres dipped a bit. Perfect to fill with chocolate if you ask me!

This is my ban-marie. A rounded copper pot I use for melting chocolate. I melted 100 grams of chocolate but for a dozen biscuits I'd only recommend 50 grams. I suppose if you don't mess up and make a cookie blob your first try, you should use the whole 100 grams.

They turned out beautifully and taste amazing! I hope Ian's family loves them as much as I do. Thank you for your recipe, Rose!

3 comments:

  1. Well done Elizabeth, this is a great example of making the best of your mistakes. I'm very intrigued - will have to give them a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those biscuits look fabulous! So glad I found your blog link over on n.com now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad news about your friend. Your biscuits look lovely with the chocolate. I do a recipe fairly similar which has syrup in them. I only ever put 8 small balls on a large baking tray. They spread to an amazing size. If you are interested they are on my blog. I add dried cranberries to them as I love them.

    http://teandwheatenbread.blogspot.com/2009/03/vis-oaties.html

    ReplyDelete