Thursday, April 30, 2009

Raspberry PawPaw Ice Cream


After a hard week, I really needed a sweet treat. I didn't even bother to wait for it to set entirely before digging in, but who cares? I'm all for hedonism and I feel it was proper to eat a dish without having to wait. Looking up a recipe for blueberry icecream, I decided to make raspberry ice cream. Having a pawpaw in my fruit bowl, I decided on a raspberry pawpaw icecream. Having also decided that vanilla and limes would make this almost Carribean in taste, I added those too. In all modesty, it's delicious - and I made the entire recipe from Frankensteins monster into my very own.

Raspberry Papaya Vanilla Lime Ice Cream

250mL full cream milk
4 egg yolks, beaten until smooth
350mL thick cream
1/2 or 300g of papaya
500 grams frozen raspberries
100 grams sugar
1 vanilla pod
1 lime


Place cream, eggs and milk in a pan with a split vanilla pod and stir with a wooden spoon until thick. Keep an eye on it because it's not allowed to boil or curdle or the world will end. No really, it will. Bombs and everything. You don't want to end the world, do you? Didn't think so; so keep stirring!

Place raspberries, papaya, sugar and the zest and juice of the lime into a food processor with the sugar. Blitz until desired texture.

Remove vanilla pod from pan. Lick clean. Vanilla is yummy.

Pour fruit mixture into cream mix. Place in ice cream maker, like so:

Now, ice cream never sets properly, so this should be the best texture you should be able to get at home before placing all minus one bowl into a container in the freezer to enjoy later. Enjoy soft serve bowl of fruity goodness now, while you still can. I served mine with raspberry preserves.


The lime really brings out the flavour of the papaya and raspberries, I have to say, so please don't omit it thinking it's an odd ingredient.

This should serve 6 people. Or me.

No comments:

Post a Comment