Monday, May 4, 2009

Farm Dealings

I'm guessing you've been wondering where I was. I was farming! My boyfriend of six months took me on a four hour car trip to his family meat cattle farm to visit and I had a blast! Literally!



Anyway, I would like to take this moment to discuss hedonism with you. Hedonism is the act of doing things you like simply because you like them and taking no regard to others opinions about it. It's about appreciating life and for me, appreciating simplicity. I'd like to show you, the ten minute old egg.
The bread was borishingly simple white bread, but that egg, right there... was no more than ten minutes old AFTER it was boiled. This is my definition of hedonism. Taking pure delight in the simplicity of the fact I plucked this so quickly from a squawking chicken's bottom, that the egg itself was still warm as I plunged it in boiling water for 4 minutes. Topped with fresh salt, it has to be one of the world's most simple delights.

Now when you're meeting a family for the first time, cupcakes are a good way to win them over. Specifically, cupcakes with THIS frosting, which hardens very well after half an hour.

Chocolate Honey Icing
200g chocolate
150g sugar
2 'tablespoons' honey
60mL water

Boil water in a pot with sugar and honey. I say 'tablespoons' loosely here because I was privvy to some honey fresh from a hive and my tablespoons looked like something the gelatinous blob ate. So... 4-5 actual tablespoons honey. Melt all together, don't caramelize. Add chocolate chips and melt entirely. Set to cool about 15 minutes until paste-like. Apply to cupcakes. Eat. If you wait much longer, they will harden into chocolate, so either eat immediately or hide the pan from 18 year old boys.

1 comment:

  1. Hey babe! I wish it was legal for me to have some of my own chooks because after a pet sit booking I did where I was able to keep the eggs I collected from the 3 chooks.... OH MY GOD! I loved those eggs! I wish I could have them like that every damn day because I try to have an egg a day in my diet.

    Thus I second the whole "fresh from a chicken's bum" eggy goodness! I wish I didn't have to buy stupid cage eggs at the supermarket ever again because I had my own chook(s) to supply me with enough (or at least a friend who had some that wanted to share the eggs with me..lol!)

    ReplyDelete